Sunday, July 28, 2013

Noli trip, finally explained

I am sorry it has been so long. Like I said before, trying to recover the video and working this new job has been a time crunch. Still missing a main clip but made something out of the leftovers. Video is at the bottom of this post.

I started out at Uncle Johnnys Hostel in Erwin, Tn. I stopped in the store to make sure where I was parked would be fine for me to do the day trip without getting towed or ticketed. I also spent a little time in the store to see what all they had and asked about "Lost Cove". The guys in the shop were helpful.

I walked back out to my van an put on the pack and grabbed my hiking stick. Heading on up the road, I pass the Appalachian Trail head on my right. The Nolichucky River flowing nicely on my left. I saw also on my left that there were some tent campers right on the Noli at a few spots. Before making it to the RR Track, I saw the spring well that continuously flows out of a pipe on the side of the road. Across from that is an abandoned house that looks like it was custom built for a little person. I am 5' 9" and I had to duck to fit under the front porch roof. The front door was pretty short too. Onwards to the tracks.

I made it to the track and eastward bound. I kept my ears open for trains as much as I could. For about the first half mile or so, I kept finding tent camping spots along the Noli. All with signs of use such as Beer Bottles, trash and fire spots. The Noli goes through various phases of smooth to rough. Walking the tracks was not easy. Trying to keep on the ties shorted my pace. Rocks thrown everywhere. Walking the ties would be easier than walking on the rocks though.

I kept a watch on my phones GPS app. Even though no cell phone signal, the GPS worked fine. I was around 1 1/2 miles into the trip when I took a break. I was carrying about 20 pounds of gear, food and water in the pack and needed a break from that and the straps getting to me. I sat along the Noli eating a Cliff Bar and drinking from my water bottle in the pack, leaving the outside canteen alone. This is when I saw my first train. It was headed to North Carolina.

Back to moving my feet, I kept the water bottle out so I could access it better. The sun was up and things were starting to warm up. Nothing eventful and the same scenery. Took another break along the way. Finally, I drank my water bottle close to empty and I realized that I was not going to make it to the island. I started looking for a spot to stop and set up to at least do some prospecting. Found a place that had some nice rock formations and across the river I could see bedrock poking out. I did not even make it to Devils Creek.

I had to walk down a slightly steep railroad rock embankment, without breaking an ankle or go for a tumble. I dropped my pack and broke out the machete to hack into a small area along the Noli, then go retrieve the pack.

I was a nice place to sit and relax and I did just that. Listening to the sounds of the river. I walked around the area scouting where I would want to dig and checking for any critters that might want to nibble on me. All clear and 3 spots that looked good. Changed out from Hiking Boots to Water Shoes and broke out the e-tool, 1/4" classifier and pan. No signs of anyone anywhere.

There was Mica around but not as heavy as it is up at the Chestoa Rec. Area further downstream. I dug around and tested for about 2 hours finding different rocks but not one speck of gold. I broke for lunch. That is when I had the second train pass by and I also saw the first group of rafters on the Noli. I waved and got funny looks from them as they waved back. I guess they were not expecting to see anyone where I was at. Oh, if I only had a Banjo...LMAO.

I found a few more spots to dig and still no signs of gold. All these spots, I went to bedrock because it was not that far down. Maybe 10 inches or so to hit it. Spent about another hour until I gave up. I was collecting different rocks I thought were interesting too. More rafters and more waving. I was done here. Time to go.

On the way back, it was getting pretty hot and my calf muscle that I pulled a couple weeks earlier started giving me trouble again. I was also getting low on water. I passed 2 guys walking the tracks with 6 packs in hand, one also with a fishing pole with a artificial lure on it. Exchanged greetings in passing with no problems.

A short while later, I was out of water, legs were hurting because the calf muscle threw off my gait, working the other muscles harder. Not that walking the tracks was making it any easier. It started creeping into my mind that I was in over my head. Time to toughen up and move on. Just taking more frequent breaks. One more train to pass by on my journey.

Eventually, I could see the Nolichucky Campground across the way, I knew I was getting close to the road. Made it to the road and to the earlier spotted spring. Filled up the canteen. Man, mineralized spring water is not my taste but it was wet and I needed a big drink. About halfway down the road, I took a nice long break to enjoy the shade, that is not on the tracks, and enjoy the view. I was also pretty spent and hurting.

Finally reached the Van and tossed in the pack. Went to the store inside Uncle Johnnys and got a nice cold Gatoraid. Oh that was so nice!  Hobbled back to the Van and head home.




No comments:

Post a Comment